Conquest Stables’ My Conquestadory, winner of the Grade I Darley Alcibiades at Keeneland last October, has been retired trainer Mark Casse said Tuesday morning.
My Conquestadory had been pointing towards a start in Saturday’s Grade I Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup at Keeneland where she was expected to be among the race favorites. Casse said Tuesday he was unsatisfied with how the 3-year-old daughter of Artie Schiller had trained while at Keeneland and the decision was made to let her begin her second career in the breeding shed.
“I just didn’t feel watching her train at Keeneland that she was at her very best. And if you’re going to run in a race like the one this weekend, you have to be at your very best,” Casse said. “The owners and I talked about it and our feeling was she’s already a Grade I winner, she’s done a lot of things. She’s sound and she could have gone on and ran another year….I just didn’t want to risk any problems with her. So she’s already at Lane’s End.”
My Conquestadory captured the Alcibiades in her second career start after winning the Grade II Summer Stakes at Woodbine while facing males in her career debut last September. All of her six career starts have come against graded stakes company and her most recent start saw the dark bay filly run third in the Grade I Del Mar Oaks on August 16.
The sentimental value surrounding My Conquestadory is huge as well as she became the first Grade I winner for owners Ernie Semersky and Dory Newell, who operate Conquest Stables.
“She’s named after Dory and I think every time she runs and does anything, everybody worries and holds their breath because she’s just so special to them,” Casse said. “So it is bittersweet but I think there is also some relief that now she gets to go and be a mommy. They’re more excited about that than racing.
Bred by Paul Tackett, My Conquestadory retires with two wins from six career starts and $503,526 in earnings. The only time she was worse than third came when she finished fourth in last year’s Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies Turf.
“I’m sorry to see her go but hopefully we’ll have lots of little My Conquestadorys in the future,” Casse said.
My Conquestadory is the second major contender to be declared out of the Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup this week. On Monday, Team Valor announced that Euro Charline, impressive winner of the Grade I Beverly D. at Arlington on August, would miss the race after lameness was discovered in her right hind ankle. She is slated to undergo a nuclear scan later this week to confirm if bone bruising is present.
Keeneland racing secretary Ben Huffman said Tuesday that Grade III winner Speed Seeker is now slated to join the QEII lineup. The list of probables also includes Aurelia’s Belle, Ball Dancing, Crown Queen, Daring Dancer, Minorette, Personal Diary, Sea Queen, and Xcellence.